Pickled Beet and Orange Kale Salad with a warm maple and balsamic dressing is a healthy and satisfying salad.
I love kale salads and make them for lunch on a regular basis. I like to switch things up based on the season. The base is alway the same—kale that has been messaged before adding the rest of the salad ingredients.
Messaging the kale is very important. It helps to take away some of its naturally bitterness. Messaging the kale also make the leaves really tender.
For this Pickled Beet and Orange Kale Salad, I am using a supermarket shortcut. I used Sweet Pickled Beets from Paisley Farm. I was sent a jar of Sweet Pickled Beets, along with other products from Paisley Farm for a Holiday blogger recipe challenge.
I really wanted to create a recipes using the Sweet Pickled Beets. What makes these pickled beets unique are the spices used. The warming cinnamon spice is perfect in this kale salad.
I really loved the combination of beets and oranges together. I used a blood orange in the salad, but you can use a regular orange too!
The dressing is really easy to make. I like to use balsamic vinegar for the acid in the dressing. I find that balsamic pairs really well with the beets and orange.
For some added crunch, I like to add chopped pecans to the salad. Pecans and the beets are so good together!
This Pickled Beet and Orange Kale Salad is perfect for making all winter long!
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- ½ Small Yellow Onion, minced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ½ Tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Large Bunch of Kale, chopped
- ¾-1 Cup Paisley Farm Sweet Pickled Beets, roughly chopped
- 1 Blood Orange, segmented
- ¼ Cup Pecans, chopped
- Heat the oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add in the onion and saute for about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic, salt and maple syrup and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer the olive oil and onion mixture to a blender. Add the balsamic vinegar. Blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Add the chopped kale to a large salad or mixing bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the kale, and message the kale until it softens and turn a deep green color.
- Add the chopped beets, orange, and pecans. Toss the salad.
- Serve immediately.