Mexican Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a quick and easy protein packed lunch.
This recipe for Mexican Chickpea Salad Sandwich couldn’t be easier to make. Plus it only takes a few minutes.
The chickpea salad is inspired by a classic Mexican tuna salad. Instead of using tuna, chickpeas are smashed to created the texture of tuna.
To the smashed chickpeas, a fresh diced tomato, a little white onion, lime juice and cilantro are added.
The cilantro is completely optional; I just love adding fresh herbs to brighten up recipes.
I just use a little bit of vegan mayo for the salad. For this salad I like to use a chipotle mayo. I love the spicy kick of the chipotles I used to be able to find a vegan chipotle mayo, but it seems that they have stopped making it.
To make a homemade chipotle mayo, simple take some vegan mayo and add in about a teaspoon of the chipotle sauce from canned chipotles in adobo into the mayo and mix together.
The chipotle sauce adds a little kick to the chickpea salad which I just love.
You can serve the chickpea salad right away, or you can chill the salad in for fridge for 20-30 minutes fore serving. I prefer the chickpea salads to be cold. This is a great recipe to meal prep too!
I like to serve this salad on toasted bread with some lettuce for some added greens.
- 1 15 Ounce Can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tsp Chipotle sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan Mayo
- 1 Roma Tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons White Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Chopped Cilantro, optional
- 1/2 Tablespoon Lime Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bread or Tostadas for serving
- In a mixing bowl add the chickpea. Using a fork, mash the chickpeas.
- In a small bowl mix the vegan mayo and chipotle sauce.
- Add the diced tomato, onion, cilantro if using, lime juice and mayo. Mix until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve right away or chill in the fridge or a cold salad.
- Serve on bread or a tostada.