Mexican Chickpea Salad Sandwich is a quick and easy protein packed lunch.
Sometimes I forget to plan my lunch. Whether I am working on shooting new recipes or sitting down at the computer writing upcoming blog posts, I tend to forget to make myself lunch. I know this is terrible. I used to be really good about planning my lunch ahead of time. Now I often find myself super hungry without a lunch plan. Lately I have been trying to have some quick and easy options for lunch like this Mexican Chickpea Salad Sandwich.
This recipe for Mexican Chickpea Salad Sandwich couldn’t be easier. Plus it only takes a few minutes to make. The chickpea salad is inspired by a classic Mexican tuna salad.
To the smashed chickpeas, a fresh diced tomato, a little white onion, lime juice and cilantro are added. The cilantro is completely optional; I just love adding fresh herbs to brighten up recipes. I just use a little bit of vegan mayo for the salad. For this salad I like to use a chipotle mayo. I love the spicy kick of the chipotles. If you only have a regular vegan mayo on hand, you can add in about a teaspoon of the chipotle sauce from canned chipotles in adobo into the mayo and mix together.
You can serve the chickpea salad right away, or you can chill the salad in for fridge for 20-30 minutes fore serving. I prefer the chickpea salads to be cold.
I like to serve this salad on toasted bread with some lettuce for some added greens.
- 1 15 Ounce Can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 Roma Tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons White Onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Chopped Cilantro, optional
- ½ Tablespoon Lime Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Vegan Chipotle Mayo*
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl add the chickpea. Using a fork, mash the chickpeas.
- Add the diced tomato, onion, cilantro if using, lime juice and mayo. Mix until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve right away or chill in the fridge or a cold salad.
- Serve on bread or a tostada.