Homemade Cilantro Lime Slaw is a light, healthy homemade coleslaw that is the the perfect topping for tacos and sandwiches.
If you are like me and love cilantro, this homemade slaw recipe is for you! Cilantro adds a bright, fresh element to coleslaw.
What I love about this coleslaw recipe is that it's mayo free. Don't get me wrong, I love a good mayo based coleslaw, but I love using unsweetened non-dairy yogurt to for the coleslaw dressing base. There are so many great non-dairy yogurts.
If you need a simple and easy side dish that is on the lighter side for your BBQs, this Cilantro Lime Slaw is a perfect addition to your table. This cilantro slaw makes a great topping too.
Whether you are making burgers, tacos or sandwiches, this Cilantro Lime Slaw will brighten up any dish!
what do you need to make the cilantro lime slaw
- Green Cabbage and Carrots- I always tend to have a head of green cabbage and carrots on hand. If I have a few minutes to shred the vegetables, I will take the time if I have the vegetables on hand. If I don't have cabbage and carrots at home, I'll often using a bag of coleslaw mix at the store.
- Non-dairy yogurt: I like to make this slaw with non-sweetened non-dairy yogurt.
- Fresh cilantro: This wouldn't be called Cilantro Lime Slaw without lots of cilantro!
- Green onions: We will just add the green parts of the green onions to the slaw.
- Lime juice: Freshly-squeezed lime juice adds a brightness to the dressing.
- Seasonings: Just salt, pepper and a little fresh garlic.
- Jalapeño Pepper: A jalapeño pepper adds a little bit of heat to the slaw.
how to make the cilantro lime slaw:
Make the coleslaw dressing: Combine the non-dairy yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, salt, pepper, jalapeño, green onions and garlic in a food processor, and pulse briefly until the mixture is combined. I really love this mini food chopper to make dressings and sauces.
Stir everything together. In a large bowl, toss the shredded cabbage and carrots with the dressing until combined.
Serve: Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate if not using right away.
This coleslaw is really good served on burgers and sandwiches.
Can I use store-bought coleslaw mix?
To save time, you can use a bag of store-bought coleslaw mix in place of the shredded cabbage and carrots.
If you are looking for a new coleslaw recipe to try and love cilantro, try this easy recipe for Cilantro Lime Slaw!
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Non-Dairy yogurt
- ¼ Cup Lime Juice
- ½ Cup Cilantro
- 1 Jalapeño, minced
- 1 Garlic Clove, peeled
- ½ teaspoon Salt of to taste
- 1/ 4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 Green Onions, just the green parts sliced
- 7 Cups Shredded Green Cabbage
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrots
- Combine the yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, salt, black pepper, green onions, garlic and jalapeño in a food processor or blender. Pulse a few times until the mixtures is combined.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Place the shredded cabbage and carrots in a large mixing bowl. Pour the sauce on top of the cabbage and carrots, then stir until the mixture is evenly combined.
- Season with extra pepper and lime juice if needed.
- Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 82Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 249mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 5gSugar: 9gProtein: 5g
Nutrition information is just an estimate per serving.