Zucchini and Corn Quinoa Salad is a healthy quinoa salad full of vegetables and creamy avocado. Perfect served warm or cold.
Quinoa is one of my favorite grains and a stable in my diet. I love using quinoa as a salad base because it adds protein and fiber. Quinoa also has all of the nine amino acids essential for human nutrition which makes it a great healthy and filling lunch option. Yay for quinoa!
This Zucchini and Corn Quinoa Salad with Avocado is delicious served warm, but it also tastes great served at room temperature or cold. A simple lime juice and olive oil vinaigrette dresses the salad, adding a brightness to the salad. This salad makes a great filling and yummy make ahead lunch option. If making the salad ahead of time, simple wait to add the avocado until ready to serve.
Zucchini and corn add a nice texture contrast to the quinoa. Make this salad when all the fresh local produce starts to fill the farmer's markets this summer. This Zucchini and Corn Quinoa Salad with Avocado is full of veggie goodness and is a filling and satisfying plant-based grain salad. It makes for a very yummy light main course or lunch. I think it would also make a great addition to picnic!
- 1 Cup Uncooked Quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¼ White Onion, finely diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, finely diced
- 2 Small Zucchini, diced into small pieces
- 2 Ears of Corn, corn kernels removed
- ½ Cup Parsley, chopped
- ¼ Cup Lime Juice
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon Agave Nectar, or to taste
- 1-2 Large Hass Avocados, sliced
- First make the quinoa. Add the rinsed quinoa and water to a 2 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Once boiling, lower heat to low and cover. Cook until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy, about 15-20 minutes.
For the Vegetables:
- While the quinoa is cooking start on the vegetable mixture. Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until it starts to soften up. Add the bell pepper, zucchini, and corn. Add a pinch of salt. Cook for 7-8 minutes, stirring once in awhile.
- While the vegetables are cooking, make the dressing. In a small bowl or jar, whisk together the lime juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and agave nectar. Taste and add more agave for sweetness or lime juice for tartness if needed.
- Once the vegetables are cooked transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the quinoa once it is done cooking, stirring everything together. Add in the parsley and mix together. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix.
- If serving right away, add the diced avocado pieces. For a cold salad, store the salad in the fridge until ready to serve. Then add the avocado.
- The salad taste great warm, at room temperature or chilled.