Using the slow cooker to cook the Slow Cooker Vegan Mashed Potatoes creates ultra creamy mashed potatoes.
I started using the slow cooker to make my mashed potatoes a few years ago. Using the slow cooker to cook the mashed potatoes creates ultra creamy mashed potatoes. It's so easy. The potatoes cook in a little bit of liquid. You can use water or vegetable broth, fresh minced garlic and a little bit of vegan butter. The potatoes only need a few hours to cook in the slow cooker.
During the holidays the slow cooker is my preferred method of cooking mashed potatoes. Not only does the slow cooker create creamy potatoes, it also saves a space on your stove top to make all your other holiday dishes.
To make the potatoes even creamier, vegan yogurt is added to the mash. I recently tried Kite Hill's unsweetened plain yogurt and it has become a staple in my kitchen. Their unsweetened plain yogurt has a really nice tang to it; perfect for mashed potatoes. If you are unable to find unsweetened vegan yogurt, sub in a vegan sour cream.
You don't even have to drain the potatoes from the cooking liquid. I mash the potatoes right in the slow cooker. No need to dirty another bowl.
Slow Cooker Vegan Mashed Potatoes
Using the slow cooker to cook the mashed potatoes creates ultra creamy mashed potatoes. Unsweetened vegan yogurt adds even more creaminess to the potatoes. The slow cooker makes this recipe so easy!
- 3 Pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth or Water
- ¼ Cup Vegan Butter, cut into small cubes
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Black Pepper to taste
- ½ Cup Unsweetened Plain Vegan Yogurt
- ⅓-1/2 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk, warmed
- To your slow cooker, add potatoes and stock or water. Place the butter cubes and minced garlic on top. Add a pinch of salt. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or until the potatoes are cooked and soft.
- Use an electric hand mixer or potato masher to mash the potatoes. Stir in the vegan yogurt, pinch of salt and pepper. Start with ⅓ cup of the milk and mash until creamy. Be careful not to over mash the potatoes. Add more milk if needed.
- Taste for seasonings.
- Serve warm.
Leave a Reply