Looking for an easy sheet pan dinner? This fall focused recipe features Roasted Butternut Squash, Apples, and Tofu topped with an apple cider gravy.
Feel all the fall vibes with this dish!
I absolutely love roasting butternut squash during the fall. I probably roast squash at least twice a week during the fall. I usually just roast the squash with oil, salt and pepper.
This idea for this recipe came when I was looking for a quick and easy protein packed, healthy dinner. I love roasting tofu, so I thought why not roast it along with the squash.
Diced apples add a little sweetness to the dish. Roasting apples is one of my new favorite things. So good!
What makes this dish unique is the use of caraway seeds. Have you cooked with them before? If you haven’t or aren’t even quite sure what caraway seeds are, they are highly aromatic and have a distinctive earthy anise flavor. Caraway seeds are popular in traditional European cuisines, particularly German, Austrian, and Hungarian dishes. I really love the unique, earthy taste of caraway seeds.
While the squash, apples, tofu and onions are roasting, it is time to make the apple cider gravy. This is one of my favorite gravy recipes. I first shared the recipe on the blog a few years ago and it’s been a staple ever since.
I really like the combination of flavors of gravy with the squash, apples, and tofu. The tofu might seem a little dry since it is just roasted with oil, but the gravy elevates the tofu.
I like to serve the Roasted Butternut Squash, Apples, and Tofu over wild rice. The flavors of the wild rice pair nicely.
I just love the fall flavors going on in this dish. I hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!
I think that this dish would be great for Thanksgiving too!
- 1- 16 ounce Package Extra Firm Tofu, pressed and drained, and cut into cubes
- 1 Large Butternut Squash, peeled and cut into large-bite pieces
- 2 Red Onions, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 Gala Apples, diced into large pieces
- Juice of Half a Lemon
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Caraway Seeds
- 3 Tablespoons Avocado Oil
Apple Cider Gravy
- 2 Tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider
- 1 1/2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 2-4 Freshly Thyme Sprigs
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cooked Wild Rice
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl, combine squash, tofu, onions and apples with lemon juice, salt, pepper, a little freshly grated nutmeg and the caraway seeds. Add the oil and toss to combine. Arrange on large baking sheet and roast 30-40 minutes.
- While everything is roasting, make the wild rice is serving.
- Meanwhile, make the gravy. n a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium high heat. Once the butter has melted, stir in the flour and cook until light brown, 1-2 minutes. Whisk in the apple cider and vegetable broth. Add the thyme sprigs and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Continue whisking and cook until thickened, about 8-10 minutes. Turn off the heat and remove the thyme leaves.
- Serve the roasted squash, apples and tofu with the wild rice, if using, and gravy.