Before we get talk about this Orange Ginger Baked Tofu, let’s chat. Do you ever find yourself having just an off week? Towards the end of last week I got sick and it threw me completely for a loop. I thought that I would be fine the next day. Nope. My body had other plans. I could barely move for 4 days and it was a real struggle just to get up. I am still not sure what caused me to get sick but during this time I couldn’t eat, let alone make + photograph all the recipes that I have planned for the blog. Since coming back from Mexico, I have so many recipes and ideas that I have planned to share with you. Getting sick has definitely set me back a little bit, but I am learning sometimes life throws you some curve balls and you just have to go with it.
Now that I am feeling like myself again, I am craving all things citrus. I tend to crave lots of citrus during the end of Winter and the beginning of Spring. The weather here in the Midwest can still be on the chilly side and having a little pop of citrus makes you feel like Spring weather is actually here.
The marinate only requires a few simple ingredients and a little bit of prep time. I like to marinate the tofu for at least 30 minutes before baking it. This helps the tofu soak up as much of the marinate flavor as possible. If you are short on time, marinate the tofu for a shorter period of time.
This tofu is packed full of bright citrusy flavor. I like to serve this Orange Ginger Baked Tofu over steamed rice and with a green veggie for a complete meal.
- 1 Block Extra-Firm or Sprouted Extra Firm Tofu, drained and pressed
- Zest of 1 Orange, preferably organic
- 1/2 Cup Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Agave Nectar
- 2 Garlic Cloves, finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon Freshly Grated Ginger
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Cumin
- 3/4 Tsp-1Tsp Salt, or to taste
- 1/4 Tsp Black Pepper, or to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine the orange zest, orange juice, olive oil, agave nectar, garlic, ginger, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Whisk the ingredients together until everything is incorporated. Set aside.
- Cut the tofu into 8 slices, about 1/2 inch thick. Place the tofu either in a baking dish or a Ziplock bag. Pour about 1/2 cup of the marinate over the tofu. If using a baking dish making sure each side of the tofu is coated with some of the marinate and cover the pan. If using a Ziplock bag, close it up and give the tofu a good shake. Let the tofu marinate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Prepare a glass baking dish, either 9 X 13 or 11 X 7 will work. Spray a little olive oil or coconut Oil spay or drizzle a little olive oil on the bottom of the pan.
- Place the tofu slices in a single layer in the baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and add any more the reserved marinate then flip the tofu. Place back in the oven and bake for another 20 minutes, or until most of the marinate has been absorbed.
For a complete entree, serve with steamed rice and veggies!
prep time doesn't include time for pressing the tofu
Hope that you are having a great week so far!