We love potatoes in our family. Potatoes are a perfect side dish for dinner or served for breakfast/brunch. I find myself making roasted potatoes about once a week. They are definitely my go-to side dish for weeknight dinners.
I usually just roast the potatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper. This time I wanted to change things up. Make these roasted potatoes are little more exciting. I am a big fan of using different spices to change up a basic recipe. These potatoes get coated in mix of cumin and chili powder. Make sure to use a good quality chili powder. I used a guajillo chili powder because it isn't spicy, but adds a nice warming flavor to the potatoes. Definitely use your favorite chili powder. I bet ancho chili powder would also be especially tasty!
For roasted potatoes, I really like using baby Yukon Gold potatoes. They are creamy and delicious when roasted. If you can't find baby potatoes, use regular Yukon Gold potatoes. Just quarter them instead of cutting in half.
After the potatoes are coated in spices and olive oil, they roasted in the oven for about 40 minutes, or until golden and fork tender. Serve as a side dish to any Southwestern or Mexican dinner. I think these are great served at brunch with Chilaquiles.
These creamy, tender potatoes are a quick and easy side dish that you will love.
- 2 lbs Baby Yukon Gold Potatoes, scrubbed and cleaned
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ½-3/4 teaspoon Sea Salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise into 1 ½ inch pieces. If your potatoes are a little larger, quarter them.
- Place the cut potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Add the olive oil, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir to throughly combine the ingredients. Make sure the spices are evenly distributed among the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes on a cookie sheet that has been lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden and fork tender. Stir the potatoes twice during their cooking time.