Instead of baking individual cookies, make one big Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar and cut into bars for an easy recipe!
It is hard to believe that we are now in the full swing of the holiday season. Have you been baking lots of Christmas cookies? I’d love to hear what you have been making this holiday season. I am excited to share one of my new holiday baking favorites: Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar. Instead of making individual cookies, the dough is baked into one big chocolate chip cookie bar. It’s so easy and delicious.
This is my first recipe using aquafaba for the egg in a recipe. I am a little late to the aquafaba party, but I am extremely happy with using aquafaba. Aquafaba is the name given to the brine cooking liquid of beans like chickpeas. Instead of discarding the bean liquid, you can use it in place of eggs. I can’t wait to start using aquafaba in more recipes soon.
The dough might seem a little crumbly and like it won’t hold together. That is exactly what you are looking for this cookie bar.
After the Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar bakes, it gets drizzled with melted chocolate chips. I have made these cookie bars three times in the past two weeks and Hector keeps asking if we have any more of the cookie bar left. I froze half of one batch for Hector to have for a treat when I am traveling to Florida next week. They didn’t last more than two days in the freezer. This Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar has definitely become a family favorite around here.
If you make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment or tag us on Instagram using #thymeandlove. I’d love to see what you’ve been making this holiday season!
- ½ Cup Vegan Butter, softened
- ¾ Cup Light Brown Sugar
- ¼ Cup Cane Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Aquafaba
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1¾ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 1¼ Cup Vegan Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line an 8 by 8 baking dish with parchment paper
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together the softened vegan butter, brown sugar and cane sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the aquafaba and vanilla until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until they’re just combined. Fold in 1 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Pour the dough into the prepared pan, spreading it to the edges and corners of the pan. Bake for 25-28 minutes until a tester comes out clean and the bars are golden brown.
- Cool completely. After the bars have cooled, melt the remaining ¼ cup of chocolate chips in a double broiler until melted. You can also melt the chocolate in the microwave.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cookie bar. Cut into pieces and serve.