I have been struggling with breakfast since coming to Mexico. I just haven’t been hungry here in the mornings. Maybe it’s the elevation. I’m not too sure. It’s weird because back home in Michigan, I have to eat breakfast within an hour of waking up. If I don’t, it throws off my whole day. So this month I have made it a priority to eat a more filling breakfast. When I was brainstorming breakfast ideas, tacos where one of the first things that came to mind. Tacos are great anytime of day, especially for breakfast. There are endless possibilities when it comes to taco fillings.
One of my favorite breakfast taco fillings would definitely have to be a tofu scramble. Tofu is a great source protein + it is super filling. These Vegan Breakfast Tacos featuring a simple + easy tofu scramble that is seasoned with some of my favorite spices: chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and Mexican oregano. For extra nutrition + veggies, roasted nopales are added in the scramble. I shared a recipe the other week for nopales and I just cannot get enough of them. They are low in calories and packed with vitamins and minerals. They are also great if you are diabetic and can lower your cholesterol. Yay for veggies!
Roasted nopales add a nice surprising twist to the scramble. Every few bites, you’ll get a bite of the tart nopal pieces. The spices in the scramble complement the nopales really well. The guajillo chili powder adds a nice warm tone without making the scramble spicy. If you unable to find nopales, you can add cooked green beans instead!
These breakfast tacos with tofu scramble + nopales is definitely my new go-to breakfast. They are filling, nutritious, and overall just satisfying. My favorite way to serve these tacos is with a squeeze of lime juice and avocado slices. What is a tofu scramble without avocados?! I hope you enjoy these breakfast tacos as much as we do!
- 1½ Cup Nopales, cleaned and spines removed
- ½ Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1½ Tsp Guajillo Chili Powder
- ¾-1 Tsp Sea Salt
- ¾ Tsp Cumin
- ½ Tsp Smoked Paprika
- ½ Tsp Mexican Oregano
- ¼ Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- ¼ White Onion, medium diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 LB Package Extra Firm Tofu, drained and pressed
- 2 Tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Cilantro
- Corn Tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Dice the nopales into roughly 1 inch pieces. Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil, parchment paper, or nonstick liner. Add nopales and ½ tablespoon of olive oil. Roast 15 minutes, or until tender, stirring once during cooking time. Set side when done.
- While the nopales roast in the oven, in a small bowl combine the spices: guajillo chili powder, salt, cumin, paprika, oregano, and pepper. Add the 2 tablespoons of water and stir everything together. Set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium high heat. Add the olive oil and onion. Cook 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Crumble the tofu block into pieces. Add to the pan and stir everything together. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the tofu starts to brown. Stir the tofu frequently. Add the spices that you set aside and cook for 5 minutes. Mix in the nutritional yeast and cook for an additional 2 minutes. If the skillet is looking a little dry, add in a splash of water.
- Stir in the chopped cilantro and reserved roasted nopales. Turn off heat.
- Warm the corn tortillas on the comal or in a non-stick skillet over medium heat for about 15-30 seconds on each side.
- Serve with avocado slices, squeeze of lime, and salsa if you like!