When I was at Disney World a few weeks ago with my Mom, we attend a wine tasting at Jiko- The Cooking Place at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge Resort. Every Wednesday at 3 they offer a wine tasting of South African wines. I highly recommend making a reservation well in advance because a few people just showed up but the wine tasting was all ready full. There where about 11 of us at the tasting. The wine tasting is $25 plus tax and gratuity which they charge at booking.
We were given 3 South African wine samples along with a cheese and fruit plate. They were very accommodating and made me a plate minus the cheese. Our sommelier Shelli was full of knowledge and it was very interesting learning about how South Africa got started in the wine business and their history of making wine. The wine tasting only lasted for an hour, but it was very informative. The one take away that I got from this wine tasting was to experiment more with different types of wines that you might not normally purchase. Go to your local wine store and discover new wines. I was really surprised that I liked the rose wine as much as I did. Shelli wanted the group to look at rose for what it was and how it was different from the white zinfandel that we are all familiar with. I loved the rose paired with the fruits on my plate, especially the strawberry. They paired beautifully and I was inspired to purchase a bottle of rose and create a fun summery drink: Strawberry Rhubarb Sangria.
This Strawberry Rhubarb Sangria is the perfect drink for Summer. Rhubarb and strawberries were just made for each other and pair beautifully with the rose with has notes of strawberry and raspberry. The sangria starts by making an easy rhubarb simple syrup. The addition of freshly squeezed orange juice brings the whole sangria together.
The Strawberry Rhubarb Sangria is a great make-ahead drink. In the morning, make the sangria and let chill in refrigerator for a few hours before serving. The strawberries will marinate in all that delicious rose-rhubarb-orange mixture. Serve over ice and a touch of seltzer or club soda if you would like. I preferred the sangria without the addition of seltzer.
This Strawberry Rhubarb Sangria is perfect for:
Enjoying at your next BBQ
Taking on your next picnic
If you make this recipe, be sure to tag us on Instagram @thymeandlove. I’d love to see what you are making!
- ½ Cup Water
- ½ Cup Cane Sugar
- 2-3 Cup Rhubarb, diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Bottle of Rose Wine, chilled
- 1 Cup Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
- 1 Pint Strawberries, halved
- Rhubarb Simple Syrup, chilled
- Seltzer or Club Soda, optional
- Ice Cubes
- In a medium pot, combine the water and sugar. Bring to a boil, constantly stirring, until the sugar has been dissolved. Add in the sliced rhubarb, stir. Cover the pot and lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Strain the rhubarb into a jar or bowl. Store the syrup in the fridge until it has cooled.
- In a large pitcher pour in the chilled rose wine, orange juice, strawberries, and cooled rhubarb simple syrup.
- Refrigerate the sangria for at least 1 hour, preferably 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve the sangria over ice cubes. Add seltzer or club soda to taste if using. Be sure to scoop out the strawberries into the glasses!