Did you grow up not liking certain vegetables? I wasn’t a big fan of beets growing up. The only time that my mom would serve beets would be when she made her Greek salad. I would always pick out the beets because I just didn’t like the texture or the taste back then. Maybe it was because they were can beets; I’m not too sure. I did like how they turn the feta cheese a pink color. This is also back when I ate cheese. Fast forward to a few years ago, I started making beets. I discovered that I love roasting beets. I love adding roasted beets to salads, especially grain based salads like this Red Quinoa and Beet Salad.
Roasting beets couldn’t be any easier. Simply remove the beet greens and trim the beets. Give the beets a good scrub and wrap in tinfoil. Bake in the oven for 40-60 minutes; the time will depend on the size of the beets. I picked up this gorgeous bunch of organic beets at my famers’ market and they were on the smaller side. Roasted beets pair beautifully with red quinoa. The color of this salad is just so gorgeous, don’t you think so?
Quinoa comes in a few different colors and I have been seeing more of my local grocery stores carry red quinoa. I think that the red quinoa is perfect for using in grain-based salads. The texture holds up well.
This Red Quinoa and Beet Salad is a great make ahead lunch; perfect for any of you who like to meal prep on the weekends. The quinoa needs to be cooled before adding the rest of the salad ingredients and can be prepped ahead of time. Freshly parsley and scallions are added to the salad for a pop of green color. I found these gorgeous red scallions at the farmers’ market and used them for the salad. I have also made the salad with regular scallions.
This Red Quinoa and Beet Salad is:
Perfect for meal prepping
& taking for your lunch
If you make the recipe, leave a comment or tag us on Instagram at #thymeandlove. You can also snap me! Username is: thymeandlove
- 1 Cup Red Quinoa
- 2 Cups Water
- 3 Small to Medium sized Beets
- 2-3 Scallions, finely sliced (I used both white and green parts)
- ½ Cup Parsley, chopped
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Pure Maple Syrup
- ½ Tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ Tsp Fresh Black Pepper
- In a medium saucepan add the quinoa and water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cover and cook quinoa 15-20, until the quinoa is cooked and all the water has been absorbed. Turn off the heat and let cool completely. Once the quinoa is cooled add it to a large salad or mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Trim and clean the beets. Wrap the beets in tin foil. Place the wrapped beets and a cookie sheet and cook until fork tender, about 40-60 minutes. The length of cooking time will depend on the size of the beets.
- Let the beets cool and when cool enough to handle, peel them. Dice the peeled beets into bite size pieces. Add then add the diced beets to the quinoa.
- Add the scallions and parsley to the bowl and mix.
- In a small bowl add the olive oil, lemon juice, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Whisk together. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Pour the dressing over the quinoa and beets. Stir everything together.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.