I really love to bake; however, I find myself only baking once in a blue moon. I usually go through spurts of making baked goods. I will make a few things in a short amount of time and then go a month or two without baking a single thing. Hector loves most baked sweet treats and when I ask him what he would like to eat, he usually request something sweet.
I actually like baking in the warmer months. Desserts tend to be brighter, lighter, and differ from what you would bake during the Fall + Winter months. Maybe having the air conditioner on helps too. You don’t realize how hot it is outside since it is usually cold inside from the air. I am very grateful to have air conditioning during those hot Summer months.
This Key Lime + Ginger Pound Cake is the perfect treat for Summer. This recipe was inspired by my Coconut Lime Pound Cake that I shared in the Spring. Pound cakes are perfect for Summer BBQs, picnics, and family get togethers. They can be made in advance and travel really well.
I really wanted to create a citrus pop in the pound cake. I decided to use key limes instead of the regular limes you find at the grocery store because they are similar to the Mexican limes that fill the mercados in Mexico. They are smaller and they do have seeds. The smaller limes are more acidic then they larger limes.
Key limes + ginger are perfect flavors for Summer. The ginger isn’t over powering at all. Just enough ginger to add a subtle background not. I like using the ginger with the key limes because I think that it helps balance out the tart and acidic taste of the limes.
Here’s to more baking and sharing sweet treats with others this Summer!
- ½ Cup Non-Dairy Yogurt
- ½ Cup Blended Silken Tofu, tofu blended before measuring
- ¾ Cup Almond Milk
- 1¼ Cup Sugar
- ½ Cup Canola Oil
- 1 Tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tsp Key Lime Zest
- 2 Tsp Freshly Grated Ginger
- 2 Tablespoons Key Lime Juice
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 Tablespoons Organic Cornstarch
- 1½ Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ¾ Cup Powdered Sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons Key Lime Juice
- Preheat the oven to 325 F. Grease a dark metal 9 X 5 loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the yogurt, blended silken tofu, almond milk, sugar, canola oil, vanilla, lime zest, grated ginger, and key lime juice. Use a hand mixer to blend everything together until combined, about 1-2 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Using a rubber spatula, combine the ingredients and mix until a thick batter forms. Be careful not to overmix the batter. Fold in the shredded coconut with a rubber spatula.
- Add the batter to the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 60-65 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the cake. If it is a little moist, that is ok.
- Meanwhile make the glaze. Mix together the powder sugar and lime juice until it forms a glaze. Set aside.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let rest 10 minutes. Carefully remove the cake from the pan onto a cooling rack.
- Immediatly after removing the cake from the pan, spread the glaze over the cake. Let the cake cool before cutting and serving.