These Gooey Mushroom Quesadillas from Frugal Vegan are quick and easy to make!
Today I am excited to be sharing a recipe from Frugal Vegan by Katie Koteen and Kate Kasbee. Frugal Vegan features 99 affordable and delicious vegan recipes. This cookbook offers an amazing selection of delicious vegan recipes that won’t break the bank. Frugal Vegan proves that eating a plant-based diet doesn’t have to be expensive. The cookbook also provides a guide to creating the perfect pantry on a budget. Along with the pantry guide, you’ll learn some tips and ticks that will help save you time and money in the kitchen!
I had a had time deciding what recipe I wanted to make from Frugal Vegan. I was first intrigued by the Gooey Mushroom Quesadilla recipe. We love quesadillas and this recipe sounded really tasty and easy to make. The recipe starts off by making your own cheese sauce.
I was really surprised by how gooey the cheese got! It was the perfect consistency for a quesadilla.
I served some ripe avocado slices with a squeeze of lime juice alongside the Gooey Mushroom Quesadillas. I love how quick and easy the recipe was to make.
- 8 oz (227 g) extra-firm tofu, drained
- ½ cup and 2 tbsp (150 ml) water
- 2 tbsp and 2 tsp (20 g) tapioca flour
- 1½ tbsp (14 g) nutritional yeast
- 1½ tsp (7 ml) lemon juice
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 cups (151 g) baby portobello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- Pico de gallo, for serving, optional
- Guacamole, for serving, optional
- To make the cheese, first press the tofu with several layers of paper towel to remove as much water as possible.
- Then, break the tofu into a few small pieces and add them to the bowl of a food processor, followed by the water, tapioca flour, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic powder and salt. Blend until completely smooth.
- Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray. Sauté the mushrooms until softened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Transfer the cheese mixture to a small saucepan and stir constantly over low heat. The cheese will begin to clump and eventually become gooey. Add the red pepper flakes and continue stirring for another minute or so.
- Add the sautéed mushrooms to the cheese mixture and stir to evenly combine. Remove from heat.
- Lay the tortillas flat and spread one half with a quarter of the cheese mixture. Fold the tortillas in half and press lightly to seal. Wipe the skillet you used to cook the mushrooms with a paper towel and re-coat with cooking spray.
- Return the skillet to medium heat and cook the quesadillas until lightly brown and crispy, about 2 minutes on each side. Repeat with the remaining three tortillas. Cut each quesadilla into four pieces and serve immediately with pico de gallo and guacamole, if desired.
Frugal Vegan proves that eating a vegan diet doesn’t have to be crazy expensive. This book shows you that you can save money and eat a healthy diet at the same time.
Disclaimer: I was sent a copy of Frugal Vegan but all thoughts are my own.